Trump’s candidate for top US general supports military aid to Ukraine

Daniel Caine Photo: gettyimages.com

General Daniel Caine, the nominee for chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, supported further military assistance to Ukraine, but stressed the need for Europe to increase its share of support.

He said this in his answers before a hearing at the Senate Armed Services Committee on April 1.

In his assessment of the situation on the battlefield in Ukraine, Kaine claims that hostilities will continue in 2025, as Russia “believes that the conflict is in its favor.”

“The conflict in 2025 is likely to continue to be a war of attrition, with both sides suffering heavy losses of personnel and materiel,” the general said.

Speaking about military aid, Kane emphasized that Ukraine has the right to self-defense, and from this perspective, American aid “improves Ukraine’s position at the negotiating table and deterred Russia from further aggression.”

“The United States is only part of a network of nations that support Ukraine’s defense, and we should focus on the unique capabilities that only the United States can provide while Europe increases its share of support,” he said.

Daniel Caine, 56, is a former F-16 fighter pilot who served in Iraq as part of special operations forces and previously served as the CIA’s deputy director for military affairs.

The previous chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Charles Brown, was fired by US President Donald Trump in February.