The European Union, the United States, NATO and the OSCE have held the first quadrilateral call to coordinate their positions in the context of responding to European security challenges posed by Russia’s military build-up around Ukraine.
“In the context of continued transatlantic and multilateral coordination in regards to European security, EU High Representative for Foreign and Security Policy and Vice President of the European Commission Josep Borrell participated in a first quadrilateral call with Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg and the OSCE Chairmanship-in-Office Poland, on Wednesday night. They discussed Russia’s military build-up around Ukraine as well as ongoing bilateral and international diplomatic engagements related to Russian attempts to re-define security arrangements in Europe,” the statement said.
According to the document, during the talks, all parties reaffirmed the need to uphold the fundamental principles of the existing European security architecture, as enshrined particularly within the OSCE. They underlined their determination to continue intense consultations on identifying ways to solve the situation through bilateral and multilateral diplomatic engagement and by presenting a strong, clear and united transatlantic front.
The document recalls that the Foreign Ministers of EU Member States at their meeting in Brest last week agreed to further strengthen coordination with the United States and with NATO, and to enhance European Union cooperation within the OSCE, and asked HRVP Borrell to coordinate these activities.
“The quadrilateral call took place following these discussions and recent exchanges among partners, including with Ukrainian counterparts, and ahead of U.S. talks with Russia,” the document said.
It says EU Foreign Ministers will take their discussions forward on this issue at their forthcoming meeting of the Council in Brussels on Monday, January 24. High Representative Borrell invited Secretary Blinken to join this meeting.